[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - When to stop breast feeding?

When to stop breast feeding?

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

When to stop breast feeding?

Postby Shannon1506 » Tue 15 May, 2012 9:14 am

Hi,

My 11 month old is breast fed still and I'm just wondering when is the right time to stop? And how often should she be feeding at this age? And when I stop feeding her, what do I do from there, is it straight on to cows milk then, or does she need toddler formula or anything like that? Shes my first bub and Im not quite sure what Im ment to do from here :)

Thank you
Shannon1506

Re: When to stop breast feeding?

Postby NgalaOnline » Fri 18 May, 2012 10:54 am

HI Shannon1506,
Thanks for your post. Well done on breast feeding your 11 month old.The time to wean from the breast is a very personal choice. World Health Organisation suggest to breast feed up until the childs second birthday, and beyond if it suits you. If your baby is taking 3 to 5 meals from 5 food groups, she may need 1 to 3 breast feeds a day. After 12 months, your baby may have full cream cows milk. There is no need for toddler milks. You may wish to see the Australian Breast feeding Association website to assist the weaning process in older babies, on http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Postby Shannon1506 » Wed 06 Jun, 2012 12:38 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the advice my daughter is now turning one in a few days and since last week has been refusing to breast feed. I've tried everything to get her back on but she shows absolutely no interest any more so I'm assuming that she is self weaning. Wanted to go a bit longer but I really have no choice. I tried to express my milk to feed her but I just can't keep up with how much she wants to drink so I have put her on cows milk.

Any way my question is, how much milk should she be drinking in one day? She has been drinking up to roughly 550ml of cows milk and 200ml of expressed breast milk per day at the moment. As the days go on though the breast milk is getting to be less and less as my supply decreases, and being replaced with the cows milk.

At the moment she is drinking up to 370ml of that just through the night! This doesnt seem right to me. I'm wanting to cut out the night time feeds but she is drinking so much through the night I don't know what to do.

Please help!
Thank you
Shannon1506

Postby NgalaOnline » Thu 14 Jun, 2012 11:53 am

Hi Shannon
Thanks for your post. It can often be tricky to work out when a little one needs their milk and how much they actually require.
From about 12 months of age the recommeded ammount of milk is about between 375mls to around 500 mls a day to ensure growing children are receiving sufficient calcium. You may wish to look at the following link which has lots of information about toddlers and their milk needs.

Milk is a useful source of calcium for growing bones and teeth. Calcium can be gained from other foods such as yoghurt, cheese and cereals so the most important thing is to ensure your child is getting the correct ammount of calcium from their diet. It is important that children do not drink too much milk because this can affect their dietary intake which in turn can lead to other health issues (such as iron deficiency anaemia) in toddlers.
In relation to night feeding it is a really personal choice how long you wish to continue feeding for, but if you do feel that your daughter's diet is being compromised as a result of drinking milk overnight you could begin to think of other ways to settle your daughter when she wakes during the night.
Hope this helps you Shannon.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Feeding & Nutrition