[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - Food and milk Question

Food and milk Question

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Food and milk Question

Postby MatildasMum » Sun 23 Jun, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi,
I have a couple of nutritional queries for my 10 month old. The first thing I am wondering about is the use of stock in foods. I am wanting to make meals that both she and I can eat. I asked the health nurse about feeding her something like a veggie soup that is made with veg stock and she said that I should avoid the powdered stocks due to the salt content. I eat a very balanced diet that is relatively low in salt and am vegetarian. I would like to use veggie stock in soups and risotto but don't want to cause any problems for bub. I am a bit confused as the nurse suggested to avoid it but then many of the baby recipe books have stock in the dishes. Is there an age that it is okay for her to have it?
Also, I am still breast feeding about 3 times a day. I would like to supplement the breast milk occasionally if we are out (shes not interested in the breast if theres other things going on) or if I am out and she is home with dad. I have heard people say that it is okay to supplement with full cream cows milk at this age. Is this true? I would think it would be once or twice a week.

MatildasMum

Re: Food and milk Question

Postby NgalaOnline » Tue 25 Jun, 2013 10:22 am

Hi Matilda'sMum

Thank you for your post. I am unaware of any specific guidelines concerning at what age it is appropriate to use stock in a baby's meals. Stock, however, is predominantly made from salt and salt intake in babies under a year old (and even in toddlers) is best limited where possible. Babies have immature kidney function and a reduced ability to process salt - receiving high salt loads can place strain on the baby's renal function. In addition to this, babies initially are usually quite willing to accept quite bland flavours as their tastebuds are more sensitive than adults and they are able to distinguish tastes that adults are not. Once babies begin to be exposed to salty and sweet foods they are more inclined to begin to reject plainer foods like vegetables, as their tastebuds begin to become sensitized to sweet and salty tastes. Salt-reduced stocks typically still contain a high amount of salt and also often substitute sodium for high levels of potassium which also need to be processed by the kidneys. Whilst many baby recipe books may contain recipes involving stock, often these books are written by persons with an interest and qualifications in food and cooking rather than child health and nutrition. You may like to consider doing some "bulk cook ups" of meals for your baby that flavour soups and risottos with things like onions, garlic, herbs or cheese rather than stock. You could then freeze these ready for defrosting when she is hungry.

Generally for babies under a year of age it is preferable to offer formula as a substitute rather than cow's milk. On an occasion where a substitute feed was a very rare occurrence it would be ok to try offering a baby approaching a year of age a full fat cow's milk drink rather than formula. When the substitute feeds are likely to take place on a more regular basis such as weekly or several times a week it would be preferable to offer formula rather than cow's milk as cow's milk lacks many of the minerals that babies require, and can be harsh on the baby's gut. Rather than buying a tin of formula you may like to consider buying a box containing sachets or stick packs so that you are not wasting a tin of formula or money. When introducing cow's milk as a drink for the first few times it is best to offer small quantities at first and see how they are tolerated. Abdominal pain, skin rashes, mucous in the bowel motions or offensive smelling, runny bowel motions are signs that the baby may not be tolerating the cow's milk well. Cow's milk does contain a protein that some babies can find difficult to tolerate at first, and therefore it is best to build exposure slowly by offering some in cereals and foods at this age, then progressing to the introduction of small drinks.

I hope that this information is helpful.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Re: Food and milk Question

Postby NgalaOnline » Tue 25 Jun, 2013 1:04 pm

Further to your question about stock above, here is a link to a website containing a recipe for a home made stock that is more suitable for babies as it derives it's flavours from spices rather than salt. You may like to consider making and freezing a large batch of home made stock to add to meals your baby will be sharing. Many similar home made stock recipes may be available on the internet. I hope that this is helpful:

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ ... ckjyDtxS9U
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Feeding & Nutrition