[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - Baby Led Weaning 7 Month Old

Baby Led Weaning 7 Month Old

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Baby Led Weaning 7 Month Old

Postby steph82 » Thu 23 May, 2013 3:50 pm

Hello,
My baby will be 7 months tomorrow. We started solids using baby led weaning at 6 months 1day. I offer food 2-3 times a day being finger foods of varying tastes and textures: vegetables, fruits, toast, cruskits, rice cakes, strips of steak etc. He is able to put things in his mouth but is not particularly interested in putting food anywhere near his mouth. He will suck on a spoon but usually manages to get any food off it before it reaches his mouth. He will not let me put the spoon in his mouth (arches his back, grimaces, grizzles). He will only sit in the highchair for 15-20 minutes at a time because as soon as he wets his nappy he becomes unsettled (this is not just related to the highchair, it is 24 hours a day and disrupts his sleep and other activities but that is another story). He is breastfed every 3 hours although I am now managing to stretch it out to 4 hours overnight, so approximately 6-7 times a day; on top of this he will feed to sleep 2-3 times in a 24 hour period. His growth and weight gain are still consistent.
My question is, should I be concerned that he will not let me feed him with a spoon and also does not eat much. I firmly believe that 'food before one is just for fun' but I have others in my mothers group spoonfeeding (and also breastfeeding) and being told they should be giving 3-4 tablespoons 3 times a day. He does not eat anywhere near this much!
Thanks in advance.
steph82

Re: Baby Led Weaning 7 Month Old

Postby NgalaOnline » Thu 23 May, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Steph82

Thank you for your post. At seven months and with solid foods only having been introduced a little while ago I would not be concerned yet regarding your baby not showing a lot of interest in food. Baby's appetites and interest in food can vary considerably, and many babies are slow to warm up to the idea of eating or to take an interest in food. At this age most of your baby's nutrition needs are being met by breastfeeding. Introducing food at this age is mainly so that the baby can begin to become familiar with and interested in foods, so he can begin building up a varied diet. Solid foods are also helpful in giving the baby some added iron, as iron stores from the prenatal period begin to diminish around 6 months. For this reason, giving iron rich foods such as mince or tender strips of meat (with close supervision), and serving iron rich foods along side a food rich in vitamin C (such as tomato) can be helpful. Babies only need to consume small amounts of these foods to get a boost of iron, so offering them often is helpful even if the baby only actually consumes a small amount each time. It is helpful to offer iron rich foods at a different time from cow's milk products (such as cheese or yoghurt) as these can inhibit the absorption of iron. Continuing to offer a variety of foods and textures in a positive, happy and low-stress environment is the best way to encourage the baby to continue to explore and accept food. Touching, smelling and playing with foods are all positive parts of him becoming familiar with foods.

If a baby is not very interested in finger foods it can be helpful to combine this with some spoon foods (or vice versa for babies who are uninterested in spoon foods). Some parents find it helpful to offer distractions at the same time as offering spoon foods (such as feeding the baby whilst he has a bath or plays with toys). Offering the baby a spoon to play with as you feed with another spoon can also be helpful. Some babies enjoy being fed infront of a mirror. It is best to keep the highchair sessions short (such as ten minutes) as babies are eager to move and explore, and you want the high chair experience to be positive. If the baby fusses and refuses your attempts to spoon feed him it is best to not give much attention or fuss to this reaction, simply distract or move onto a new activity and then try again at another time.

I hope this information has been helpful.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Postby steph82 » Thu 23 May, 2013 7:39 pm

Thankyou for your positive response. It has reduced my stress considerably! I will try some of the ideas ie mirror in front of bub, distractions.
steph82

Postby NgalaOnline » Fri 24 May, 2013 4:29 pm

You are very welcome Steph82. I am glad that the information has been helpful. Best of luck with trying some of the new suggestions.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Feeding & Nutrition