[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - Breastfeeding & Daycare for 11month old

Breastfeeding & Daycare for 11month old

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Breastfeeding & Daycare for 11month old

Postby J3NN1B » Tue 19 Feb, 2013 4:20 pm

I just need some advice,

My baby will be almost 11 months when she starts daycare twice a week in March. She has only ever been breastfed (never formula) and will only drink a few sips of expressed breastmilk before realising what it is and refusing. She has a good diet and eats a lot and drinks plenty of water. She does have a mild diary allergy so at the moment can't have cow's milk. I'm concerned she won't be getting any breastmilk while she is in care for 8 hours. So apart from the fact she will be wondering where her 'boobies' have gone, is it actually okay at her age to only have food and water for that length of time. I will be feeding her on demand on the days I am not at work. She still has one feed during the night, can I expect this to increase on these days? The daycare centre have suggested I just supply them with small amounts of expressed milk (so not to waste it if she doesn't drink it) to give in a sippy cup. I guess I just want reassurance that she will be okay without breastmilk, though I am concerned my supply will drop as I will not be able to pump at work either.

Thankyou
J3NN1B

Re: Breastfeeding & Daycare for 11month old

Postby NgalaOnline » Wed 20 Feb, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi there

Thank you for your post. Going back to work and managing a breastfed baby can be an anxious time for many mothers. The good news is that at 11 months your baby will be fine to get through an 8 hour day twice a week with just foods and water from a sippy cup if she is able to breastfeed on demand during the times that she is with you. Many mothers choose to reduce their baby to around 2 or 3 breastfeeds a day by around 12 months of age (although feeding more frequently is definitely also normal and very beneficial for the baby) so many babies of around this age do manage to go for a period of 8 hours or so without a breastfeed. It is still very worthwhile sending some breastmilk to daycare in a sippy cup as the daycare suggested. Many caregivers find that a baby will typically accept expressed breastmilk when their mother is not around, even though they may reject it when offered it in the presence of the mother. Repeated re-exposure to expressed milk but without any pressure on her to drink it may help your baby to begin accepting the expressed milk.

Many mothers find that their baby will respond to their absence by seeking more frequent feedings during the time that they are together. This can be called "reverse feeding" and does sometimes mean that the baby will seek more night time feeds than usual. Feeding your baby more frequently when you are together helps to maintain your supply and also helps the baby to meet all her fluid and nutritional needs. For many babies, breastfeeds when with their mother is a way of reconnecting, seeking reassurance and can be a great source of security and comfort. Continuing to breastfeed when placing a child into a daycare settling has been shown to significantly reduce the number of infections and illnesses experienced by the baby or toddler, and this in turn has been shown to reduce the number of sick days of absence required by the parent.

It will be important to care for your breasts as they adjust to the longer periods without draining. You mentioned that you will not be able to express at work. If it is at all possible, expressing at work is very helpful for maintaining supply and also for preventing the occurrence of blocked ducts or mastitis. Many parents find that if they talk to their employer arrangements can be made for them to have a private space in which to express. Under anti-discrimination laws women are entitled to lactation breaks in which to express milk for their baby if needed, although these breaks are not required to be paid. If it is definitely not possible for you to express at work it will be important for you to watch your breasts for signs of engorgement or blocked ducts (hard lumps in the breast) throughout your first days. It is important to manage these things promptly if you notice them to reduce the risk of mastitis. If you can not express and you feel overly full in the breasts you may need to hand-express enough milk in a restroom to the point that your breasts feel softer and comfortable, rather than overfull, hard or lumpy. If you are not able or comfortable to express in your workplace you may like to consider taking a hand pump to work and leaving work to go to a nearby shopping centre with a parent's room if necessary. Blocked ducts can be managed by reasonably firm massage of the blockage, particularly whilst feeding the baby, expressing, or being in a hot shower. Feeding with baby's chin positioned over the lump can also help. Often measures such as expressing for comfort at work are only necessary the first few days or weeks as your supply adjusts to the change in demand. It can also be helpful to have breastpads on hand or a spare shirt in your car as some women experience a letdown or leaking if they think of their baby or their breasts become too full. Feeding your baby shortly after being reunited is a helpful way of protecting your breasts from engorgement and blocked ducts.

The Australian Breastfeeding Association is a helpful source of information and support regarding managing a return to work with a breastfed baby. You may like to call their helpline or view information on their website here:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... g-and-work

I hope this information has been helpful for you and that your return to work is smooth.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Feeding & Nutrition