[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - Changes in feeding

Changes in feeding

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Changes in feeding

Postby deaney17 » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 7:12 am

Hi there
I am hoping that you can help me as I feel like I am loosing the plot
My baby girl was born at 34 weeks but was only weighing 3.3LB /1.5KG, She was in Special care for 4 weeks in order to fatten her up as there was nothing else wrong with her.
She has been a thriving baby ever since and has always loved her milk. I feed her anti-reflux formula.
She has always been on a smaller amount of formula due to her tummy being small.
Approx a month ago we increased her milk to 160mls and this wasn't a problem until a few weeks ago.
My baby girl is already on three solids a day and loves them, She is now 7 months old but isnt drinking all her bottles anymore.
Her feeding routine is as follows
6.30am bottle feed
8am rice cereal
10.30am bottle feed
12pm Fresh fruit puree
2.30pm bottle feed
5pm Dinner, sweet potato. pumpkin, butternut squash etc
6.30pm bottle feed. This is her last bottle feed of the day.
For the last few weeks she has not been drinking her bottles, normally leaving approx 40-60mls in each bottle..
I am so worried that she will not be gaining weight appropriately.
On Monday 10th Feb, we all took gastro and unfortuantely so did my baby girl, so I understand that she may not feel much like eating.

I feel so upset that she isnt drinking and I feel like im pushing it into her knowing that she doesnt want it, but what do I do.

I suffer from postnatal anxiety and post traumatic stress so I am probably worrying unnecessarily but at the same time I can not help it.
She is drinking water through out the day and eating but I am just concerned about her milk. She is an extremely happy baby but Im not a happy mum, im just stressing.
Do I reduce her feeds to three times a day or what do I do.

I hope you can help me

Kind regards

Nadine
deaney17

Re: Changes in feeding

Postby NgalaOnline » Thu 14 Feb, 2013 6:24 pm

Hi Deaney17

Thank you for your post. It sounds as though you are doing a fantastic job being a caring and attentive mother to your baby. It also sounds as though changes and development of your baby is causing you to feel some anxiety at the moment. It is very common for mums to find times such as the introduction of solids to be anxiety provoking, and this can be exacerbated by things such as postnatal depression. It sounds as though you are aware of your feelings and moods and monitoring yourself which is good. It is fantastic that you are reaching out for help and support when you are finding changes and issues to be challenging.

It sounds as though it would be very beneficial to visit your child health nurse for a general check up for your baby, but also for a growth and weight check as this may provide you with great reassurance that your baby is still thriving. As babies age and begin to eat more food it is normal for food to become a bigger part of their diet and for their milk intake to reduce. Milk still does remain an important part of their diet for the first twelve months, however. For babies under eight months of age, and particularly for a baby who was premature and would be younger by corrected age, it is beneficial to offer milk before solids as it is quite common for some babies to rapidly progress to wanting to eat lots of solid foods, and for their milk intake to reduce in response to the amount of solid foods they are eating. Under about eight months of age it is best for the milk to still be the primary source of nutrition for a baby and for solids to be more about fun and experimenting with different tastes. Rather than splitting the feeding times for solids and milk, it may be beneficial to try feeding solids and milk at the same time, offering the milk first for another few months. This will quite likely mean that your baby does not eat as much solids as she is presently doing, but that is fine. Many mothers do find that they need to reduce the portions of solid foods that their baby is eating if it is impacting on their milk intake, particularly if the baby is younger than around eight months. If your baby is having a lot of water it might also be helpful to reduce this to just sips of water. If your baby is having solids 1.5 - 2 hours before being offered milk she may not be hungry enough to take a full milk feed and a change in routine may help to get some extra milk intake into her.

Bottle refusal is quite a common issue and can cause a lot of anxiety for many parents. The important things to focus on is that your baby is a happy, healthy baby. It is also very likely that the recent gastro is currently impacting on your baby's appetite. If she is having plenty of wet nappies and continued growth and weight gains these are also great signs that she is thriving. It is important not to force a baby to feed as this makes feeding a negative experience for the baby and may make her more likely to resist the next feeding. It is also important not to let yourself become too consumed by thoughts or anxieties about your baby's intake. If you feel that much of your day is being spent either trying to get your baby to take more or thinking about the amount your baby has had it is a good idea to go and discuss your feelings and concerns with a health professional that you trust such as a child health nurse or General Practitioner. Some parents find that their baby will take more milk if distracted with toys or a chunky necklace that mum wears whilst feeding that the baby can play with. It is also very common for babies to feed much better when they are drowsy so introducing a "dreamfeed" several hours when the baby is asleep, or feeding when the baby has just awoken and is still drowsy works for some people to get some extra intake into their baby.

It sounds as though it would be very helpful for you to find a supportive person for you to talk to about your PND and feelings of unhappiness at the moment. The Ngala helpline, your Child Health Nurse, GP or organisations like PANDA or Beyond Blue can all be good sources of support if you are feeling low. I hope that this information helps and that you feel happier regarding your baby's feeding soon.

http://www.panda.org.au/
http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Feeding & Nutrition