20 month old and day sleeps

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

20 month old and day sleeps

Postby eloisek » Wed 21 Sep, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi,

I am having some problmes with my 20 month old. For the past month I have had problems putting her to sleep during the day. I have previously seen ngala, (while she was 10 months old) and since then haven't had a huge number of problems. However when I put her down for her day sleeps at somewhere between 12.30 and 1.30 (i have tried to change the time to see if it makes a difference), but she gets into her cot and will either cry on and off which means i go into her on and off depending upon how she is sounding, or she will play in her cot endlessly (Sometimes for an hour). She has a blanket and quilt in her cot with her and a couple of soft toys. Occassionally she will eventually fall asleep after playing or after me going in to see her numerous times, other days she will not sleep at all. She also makes sure that she has a dirty nappy when I put into bed, but i try and wait her out so that she doesn't have a dirty nappy when I put her down. At the moment, most days I have to get her up after about an hour without her having had a sleep. She is then tired and cranky by about 5. This has also started to impact upon her night time sleeps, perviously she would go down at night at about 7 without a problem but for the last week she has been not going to sleep until 8 or 8.30 and is waking up earlier. She is also getting very upset and sometimes agitated when we put her in her sleeping bag (After a story) ready for bed, i feel that perhaps she is putting off going to bed.
My questions are:
How much sleep does she need?
Should i persist with day time naps?
Is there something I can do to improve the chances of her sleeping? (her room is dark, i leave a radio on low so there is some white noise to drown out neighbours and traffic)
Is the problems with getting her to sleep at night to do with the problems we are experiencing during the day.
Thanks in advance!
eloisek

Re: 20 month old and day sleeps

Postby NgalaOnline » Wed 28 Sep, 2011 4:37 pm

Hello eloisek,
It certainly sounds as though your little 20 month old is beginning to assert some independence, which is very normal at this age and can be quite a challenge for parents.
On average a toddler of this age can still require up to 2 hours sleep in the day, and as you are finding she is cranky by 5 p.m. with this in mind it would be beneficial to continue encouraging day sleeps.
To improve her chances of sleeping it may be useful to consider more relaxing activities prior to sleep and having less stimulating items in the cot. Your daughter may be winding down to sleep by playing in the cot and if not distressed feel comfortable in allowing her to do this.
Relaxing music in the background can be a useful soother.
Night time settling will certainly be difficult if she is over tired. It may be helpful to consider settling earlier if she has not slept well in the day.
Toddlers at this age will often delay going to bed, again encouraging a quiet relaxing time prior to going to bed with a story about sleep may be helpful. Possibly a dim night light and favourite comforter could help her sooth herself more as she transitions into her night sleep.
If you still live in W.A. and require more detail don't hesitate to contact the Ngala Help Line.

You may find the following links helpful:
http://www.ngala.com.au/You-and.Your-Fa...nce-Guides re tip sheets for Secrets of Good Sleepers, Average Sleep Patterns, and Sleep and Settling 0-5 Years
During this challenging period do remember to utilise your own support networks and maintain your good health.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online http://www.ngala.com.au/Ngala-and-You/Ngala-Helpline/Contact-Ngala-Helpline-Online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
http://www.ngala.com.au/You-and-Your-Family/Web-Based-Resources
NgalaOnline

Return to Toddlers