[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - Weaning- breast to cows milk

Weaning- breast to cows milk

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Weaning- breast to cows milk

Postby Kistzoe185 » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi, my 12 month old daughter Zoe is a great solid eater and great breastfeeder. I now wish to cut the daytime breastfeed and replace this with cows milk but she won't drink the milk. She is happy to take a cup or bottle but takes one sip and spits it out and then throws the bottle. I managed to cut her down from 4 breastfeeds to 3 at 11 months by substituting the milk for food - yoghurt, cheese or something else but just not having luck with milk. I have tried the milk cold, warm and extra warm but it does not seems to change. I have also tried drinking the milk first with the hope that he will want what I'm drinking but she isn't interested. A friend mentioned using rice milk as it is sweet similar to breast milk but I'm not sure i should give up on cows milk or if there are other strategies I should try first. The absent day feed is also resulting in a very poor daytime sleep and I deed to think what would happen if I chose to cut the night feed!!
Help, thanks
Kirsty
Kistzoe185

Re: Weaning- breast to cows milk

Postby NgalaOnline » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Kistzoe185

Thank you for your post. It is quite common for toddlers to not adapt to the taste of cow's milk straight away. Often with repeated exposure children will adapt a taste for it, so it is a good idea to keep offering her small amounts regularly even if she does spit it out. If she rejects or spits it out is is best to not react particularly to this, rather it is best to maintain a neutral expression, take the cup away if she is uninterested in trying any more, and offer her another opportunity to try milk again at another time. Research shows that children often need to be exposed to a new food around 20 times before they will accept the new food. Giving milk to her on cereal and role modelling you drinking it during this time are also good plans, although it is best to do this in a fairly neutral way and not place a lot of attention on you drinking it or on trying to get her to drink it.

At 12 months of age it is best to avoid introducing bottles, but rather give her the milk in a sippy cup. You could try both a straw cup and a beaker cup to see if she has a preference. It is best to avoid bottle use in the second year of life as it can negatively contribute to teeth decay and can also cause over consumption of cow's milk which has been shown to contribute to iron deficiency anaemia in toddlers, and to reduce their appetite for solid foods. Rice milk is not a good milk source for toddlers. Although many rice milks are fortified with Calcium, rice milk is essentially just starch and does not contain the protein, fat and other nutrients that toddlers need. Some mothers find that their toddler will adapt to cow's milk if they express some breastmilk and initially mix it with the cow's milk - slowly working on reducing the amount of breast milk and increasing the amount of cow's milk. It is not essential for your child to drink cow's milk. A child should have around 3 serves of calcium rich foods per day, but this can be given in the form of other solid foods such as yoghurt, cheese or milk used in foods such as white sauces, soups or on cereals. If you are planning to still offer some breastfeeds each day this will also meet some of your child's calcium requirements. The following link has information about typical portion sizes required by toddler's to meet their calcium requirements:

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthT ... 02&id=2836

In Australia, overconsumption of cow's milk (consuming more than 600ml a day) and associated iron deficiency anaemia is actually a more common problem for children than under consumption of calcium.

Many parents feel that they "should" wean at twelve months even if they or their child is reluctant to do so, as this is a common age to wean in this culture. It can be helpful to know that there is no need to wean your child at this age if either she or yourself would like to continue with breastfeeding. The recommendations from the World Health Organisation is to breastfeed to two years of age or beyond, and globally the average age of weaning around the world is four years of age. Breastfeeding continues to offer your child many nutritional and immunological benefits for as long as you continue to feed, and many parents find the immune protection it offers is helpful as their toddler begins to become more social and is around other children more frequently. Many of a toddler's nutritional needs can be met through breastfeeding, such as around 43% of daily protein requirement and 75% of his Vitamin A requirements. You may find the following link to be helpful: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-inf ... ur-toddler

The following link has comprehensive information regarding milk intake and calcium requirements for toddlers:

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthT ... 02&id=1788

I hope this information is helpful.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Postby Kistzoe185 » Sat 06 Jul, 2013 6:56 pm

Thank you, this is very helpful and I can try mixing breast milk with cows milk in a cup or beaker. I hope to continue morning and night feeds for a while longer and will see what works with the day one now knowing that her nutrient needs will be met with the 2 breastfeeds per day plus food.
thanks again
Kistzoe185

Postby NgalaOnline » Sun 07 Jul, 2013 8:23 pm

You are very welcome, I am glad the information was helpful. Best of luck with continuing the weaning process.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Toddlers