[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
My Ngala • View topic - 4 week old

4 week old

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

4 week old

Postby stazza89 » Fri 19 Apr, 2013 3:06 pm

I am a new mum to a 4 week old baby. I have tried everything to make him happy. I went and seen a lactation consultant as he was only feeding for 5-10 minutes from one breast and falling asleep and then waking 40 mins to 1.5 hours later for another feed especially at night - however if I expressed he would take a full 80-90mls and sleep for 2- 3 hours (some times). he also does a lot of gasping sounds coughing back arching etc and she was fairly certain he had reflux. We had at this stage tried nipple shields to get him to latch on bette rbut her suck assesment showed he was working way harder ( 7 sucks instead of 2 for 1 ml or something)

I went to see my G.P about the "silent" reflux and he referred me to PMH as he didn't want to prescribe losec or Zantex. PMH sent me to stay in Freo hospital for 2 nights to observe him etc. We finally got there at 10:30 at night and shortly after my feed they were able to give him 40mls of formula ( he did spew a bit) and I was able to express a fairly decent amount (60mls). They then got me to sleep through till 6 in the morning and they gave him a feed of the EBM + 30mls formula. They bought him back he only fed for 5 minutes then went to sleep and woke shortly again for a feed. after speaking to the Paediatrician who said it didnt appear to be refx as he didnt do any of the things he did at home and he slept I would have to top him up with formula after every feed and try and wake him back up (which is near impossible) after speaking to my partner who works away it seemed the best option was to switch him to formula. This has helped in the week since we started doing it he does sleep longer, and i sometimes allow him to comfort suckle still for a close bond. However he still seems very unsettled and gassy and still makes the gasping sounds he just no longer scream crys. he sometimes wont sleep in his cot but only in arms, swing or car seat in car.

He will wake up generally at the 1.5 hour mark before a feed and 20 minutes before feed and have to be re settled.

im really concerned about the gas if its the forumla or bottles etc or does he have reflux. he is better on formula but not 100% and feeding/changing trying to get a burp (not always successful)/ trying to get the rest of the bottle drunk etc can take over an hour sometimes. Its just me at home
stazza89

Re: 4 week old

Postby NgalaOnline » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Stazza89
Thanks for your post and congratulations on the arrival of your new baby. It really does sound as if you have been working very hard to feed and settle your baby and it also sounds as if you feel that you have made some good progress over the last week. It is really hard when you feel that your baby could be in pain due to wind.
Wind and abdominal discomfort is often because your baby’s gut is still immature at this stage and is still working on producing all the digestive enzymes required by you newborn. Many parents do feel that their baby is experiencing wind pain and it can take a little while to really settle down. Typically this type of wind pain settles by around 12 weeks of age. Some parents find that having their baby on a slight angle can help with abdominal or wind pain. You may like to consider putting something under the feet of your baby's cot to create a slight angle. It is important if you do this that your baby's feet are right at the base of his cot to prevent him being able to slide down under bedding, and it is also important not to put anything into the cot that could create gaps between the mattress and the sides or base of the cot. The angle should be around 30 degrees or less. When dealing with an unsettled baby, tight swaddling, movement (such as rocking in a pram or in your arms) and loud white noise that is louder than the baby's cry (such as radio static or a vacuum cleaner) seem to help many babies to calm and soothe. For a baby with abdominal pain, some pressure on the abdomen (such as carrying him with his stomach over your arm or sitting with his stomach pressed to your knee) can help. Taking his nappy off and moving his legs in a "bicycle" movement seems to help can also help some babies pass wind. A warm bath is also helpful for many babies. Self care and getting as much rest as you can during your baby's settled periods is important, as dealing with an unsettled baby in the very early hours of the morning is likely to be quite difficult and tiring. We hope that this phase will pass shortly as your baby grows and develops a little more. Please feel free to ring the Ngala helpline if you would like to discuss this any further. We also have lots of services that you may find of interest as you do live in Western Australia. If you would like to read a little more information on reflux the website http://www.reflux.org.au/ is a really useful resource. Good luck with this.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Postby acw9455 » Tue 14 May, 2013 9:04 am

I went to the site mentioned in Ngala's reply:- http://www.risa.com.au and it took me to "Racing Information Services Australia" ie a horse racing site???
Could you please provide the correct website address?
Thanks, acw9455 :)
acw9455

Postby NgalaOnline » Tue 14 May, 2013 10:34 am

Hi acw9455

It appears that RISA (Reflux Infants Support Association Inc) may have changed their website address. They can now be found at http://www.reflux.org.au/ - I shall ammend the web address in the above post. Thank you for bringing this to Ngala's attention - I hope that this website is helpful.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
NgalaOnline

Return to Newborns