Blocked nose during his sleep

Moderator: NgalaOnline

Forum rules
These forums are being moderated by Ngala Online. Questions posted will be answered by a Ngala parenting professional. They are open for use to all residents of Australia.

Blocked nose during his sleep

Postby Starvenom » Fri 15 Feb, 2013 4:41 am

Hi, every night around 4:30 my newborn gets a blocked nose. He frets and grunts and thrashes around (probably because he can't breath) this always wakes me and I use saline on his nose and aspirate it, this gets rid of the blocked noise but he continues to grunt and fret when I put him back to bed until I can no longer Stan it and get up for the day with him at 5:00 am. I have also tried using a Vicks air humidifier with no result. He is now nine weeks old. Has this happened to anyone else and has anyone had any success or ideas for me as I am sure he would sleep longer if he didn't have this issue. Most of the time I am able to keep him asleep while unblocking his nose.
Starvenom

Re: Blocked nose during his sleep

Postby NgalaOnline » Sun 17 Feb, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Stavenom

Thank you for your post. The issue your baby is currently experiencing is quite common, and can be frustrating for both baby and parents. Unfortunately there is not a lot that can be done for this issue other than the measures you are already taking, as the snuffling etc results from the size of the baby's airways. Newborn babies have very tiny, narrow nasal passages and it is common for them to be very "snuffly" especially if they have had a cold, but even in the absence of any illness. This issue does resolve with time as the baby's airways grow and become wider. Saline spray can be useful for helping to loosen any dried mucus that may be occluding the nasal passages, but recent research suggests that it is preferable to just use the saline and not use as aspirator as the aspirator can in some instances create swelling in the nasal passages which worsen the snuffling. Airconditioning can sometimes make the air dry and this can worsen the snuffling, so this may be something to consider if you are using airconditioning overnight. As the snuffling seems to worsen overnight it may be worth experimenting with putting some saline in your baby's nose during the night when you attend him for a night feed, or before you go to bed at around 10 or 11 pm to see if this prevents the early morning waking. Sometimes having a slightly raised angle on the baby's bed can help - it is best to do this by putting something under the feet of the bassinet / cot rather than propping something in between the cot mattress and the cot base. If you do raise the angle of the cot it is important to ensure that it is no higher than a 30 degree angle and that your baby's feet are right at the bottom of the cot / bassinet to stop him being able to slip down under bedding. There should be no gaps between the cot mattress and the cot rails. I hope this information has been helpful and that the issue resolves shortly.
This information is general in nature and should not be used as a substitute for the personalized assistance that can be received from the Ngala Helpline by telephone.

For families residing in Western Australia you can also contact the
Ngala Helpline
Telephone 9368 9368 or 1800 111 546 for country access
Available 7 days a week, 8am to 8pm
or request a callback online http://www.ngala.com.au/Ngala-and-You/Ngala-Helpline/Contact-Ngala-Helpline-Online

For helplines in other Australian states please follow this link
http://www.ngala.com.au/You-and-Your-Family/Web-Based-Resources
NgalaOnline

Return to Newborns